Environmental regulators in Central Asia
This section provides a short overview of the key national institutions responsible for environmental protection and governance in all countries of Central Asia.
Information in this section is adopted from CAWater-Info.
Ministry of Agriculture of the Republic of Kazakhstan
Mission: create favourable conditions that will enable higher competitiveness of agro-industry and sustainable development of water, fishery, forestry, and hunting sectors through effective formulation, coordination, and implementation of public policy.
Committee for Water Resources
The Committee for Water Resources is a branch of the Kazakh Ministry of Agriculture that is responsible for implementation and control in the area of water resources use and protection.
Ministry of Energy of the Republic of Kazakhstan
Ministry of Energy of the Republic of Kazakhstan is the central republican executive body, which is responsible for formulation and implementation of the relevant national policy, governance in oil-and-gas and petrochemical industry, hydrocarbon fuel transportation, public regulation of oil production, gas production and supply, electric energy, coal mining, nuclear power engineering, environmental protection, control and supervision over natural resources use, solid waste management, renewables development, and green economy promotion.
Information and Analysis Center for Environmental Protection
The Information and Analysis Center for Environmental Protection at the Ministry of Energy of the Republic of Kazakhstan is responsible for management of the state fund for environmental records and the state cadaster of natural resources.
Republican State Enterprise “Kazhydromet”
The Republican State Enterprise “Kazhydromet” at the Ministry of Energy of the Republic of Kazakhstan (RGP “Kazhydromet”) is responsible for environmental monitoring, and meteorological and hydrological monitoring, which is conducted through the state observation network.
Ministry of National Economy of the Republic of Kazakhstan
The Ministry of National Economy of the Republic of Kazakhstan is a state executive body, which is responsible for governance in the following areas:
- strategic planning, tax and budget policy, customs policy, public and government-backed lending and debt, public-private partnership, state investment projects, competition and anti-monopolistic activity, international economic and financial relations, including regulation of economic integration and trade, control of state assets, including improvement of the quality of corporate governance, development of public governance system, formulation of public policy in the area of public services, mobilization, migration, and state material assets reserve;
- regional development, promotion and support of the private sector, architecture and building spheres, housing and public utilities; state regulation in the area of water supply and sanitation, power, heat, and gas supply to settlements, land resource management; geodetic and mapping activity;
- competition and anti-monopolistic activity in the markets, control and regulation of activities related to public monopoly, as well as as part of intersectoral coordination and other executive, licensing and control functions;
- regulation and control in the area of natural monopolies and in regulated markets, except for telecommunication and postal communication, based on the Kazakh law, and control and regulation of the activities of energy producers and suppliers according to the Kazakh law on electric energy;
- state statistical activities;
- protection of consumer’s rights, ensuring of sanitary-epidemiological well-being of population, control and supervision over observance of technical rules and regulations concerning products and services provided for consumers, as well as in relation to food safety during selling.
Committee for Construction, Housing, Utilities, and Land Management
Republican State Enterprise “Scientific-Production Center for Land Cadaster”
The Republican State Enterprise with the right of economic management - “Scientific-Production Center for Land Cadaster” (RGP NPCzem) - reports to the Committee for Construction, Housing, Utilities, and Land Management at the Kazakh Ministry of National Economy.
The Statistics Committee at the Kazakh Ministry of National Economy is an authorized body, which formulates and implements the national statistical policy and carries out program for statistics improvement in the Republic.
Agency for Land Resources Management in the Republic of Kazakhstan
The Agency for Land Resources Management is the central authority, which is not a member of the government. It fulfills the governance functions in the area of land management, geodetic and mapping activity, as well as ensures intersectoral coordination and other specific executive and licensing functions as required by the law.
Joint-Stock Society “Kazakh Company for Electrical Grid Management” - KEGOC
The Company’s mission is to ensure reliable functioning and effective development of the Kazakh electrical grid in line with the recent engineering, economic, and ecological requirements and the occupational safety and health protection standards.
Committee of Geology and Subsurface Use at the Ministry for Investment and Development of the Republic of Kazakhstan
The Committee of Geology and Subsoil Use is a branch of the Ministry for Investment and Development of the Republic of Kazakhstan that fulfills regulatory, executive, and supervision functions and takes part in fulfillment of strategic functions of the Ministry in the area of geological research, rational and integrated subsoil use, and government regulation of the subsoil use.
More detailed information is available here.
The Ministry for Agriculture, Food Security and Land Reclamation of the Kyrgyz Republic
The Ministry for Agriculture, Food Security and Land Reclamation of the Kyrgyz Republic is the central governmental executive authority that implements the national policy on agriculture, land and water resources, irrigation and land reclamation infrastructure and processing industry.
Department for Water Resources and Land Reclamation
Department for Water Resources and Land Reclamation at the Ministry for Agriculture, Food Security and Land Reclamation of the Kyrgyz Republic is a governmental body, which ensures management, monitoring, and regulation of water resources and their use and irrigation and drainage infrastructure; performs executive and coordinating functions for implementation of the common public water policy.
State Design Land Management Institute “Kyrgyzgirpozyom”
The state enterprise – State Design Land Management Institute “Kyrgyzgiprozyom” – is a branch of the Kyrgyz Ministry for Agriculture and Land Reclamation. The Institute is responsible for land survey and cadastral work within the Republican boundaries, irrespective of ownership form of economic entities.
State Environmental and Forestry Agency at the Government of the Kyrgyz Republic
Currently, the competent public authority in charge of environmental protection, ecological security and nature management policy is the State Agency for Environment Protection and Forestry under the Government of the Kyrgyz Republic (the Agency) (Regulations on the State Agency for Environmental Protection and Forestry under the Government of the Kyrgyz Republic approved by Governmental Resolution No. 123 dated February 20, 2012).
State Committee for Industry, Energy and Mining of the Kyrgyz Republic
The State Committee for Industry, Energy and Mining of the Kyrgyz Republic is a legal successor of the State Agency for Geology and Mineral Resources under the Government of the Kyrgyz Republic.
The State Committee is the Central Executive Body that is responsible for development and implementation of policy in industry, excluding food industry, fuel and energy sector and mining.
Hydrometeorological Agency at the Ministry of Emergencies of the Kyrgyz Republic (Kyrgyzgidromet)
The Hydrometeorological Agency at the Ministry of Emergencies is a branch of given Ministry that undertakes activities in hydrometeorology and observations over environmental pollution.
State Inspection for Environmental and Technical Safety at the Government of the Kyrgyz Republic
The State Inspection for Environmental and Technical Safety is an authorized government authority, which ensures public supervision and control in the area of environmental and technical safety (Regulation on State Inspection Office for Environmental and Technical Safety under the Government of the Kyrgyz Republic N 136, dated February 20, 2012).
JSC “Electric Power Stations”
JSC “Electric Power Stations” is in the core of the Kyrgyz electric energy sector. The Company is the main producer of electric and thermal energy in Kyrgyzstan and supplier of internal and foreign consumers.
Priority development of hydropower consists in technical upgrade of the current electric power stations and in putting new generating capacities into operation.
National Statistical Committee of the Kyrgyz Republic
The National Statistical Committee of the Kyrgyz Republic is a public body, which undertakes national statistical activities based on the principles of independence and autonomy and coordinates accounting and statistics throughout the Kyrgyz Republic.
More detailed information is available here.
Ministry of Energy and Water Resources of the Republic of Tajikistan
The Ministry of Energy and Water Resources of the Republic of Tajikistan is the central government authority that formulates and carries out the public policy and fulfils regulatory functions in the area of fuel, energy and water resources.
Service for State Supervision over Hydraulic Structure Safety
The Service for State Supervision over Hydraulic Structure Safety at the Ministry of Energy and Water Resources of the Republic of Tajikistan is an authorized executive body, which ensures state control of hydraulic structures after their commissioning.
Ministry of Agriculture of the Republic of Tajikistan
The Ministry of Agriculture is the central executive authority, which is responsible for elaboration and implementation of the common national agricultural policy.
Agency for Land Reclamation and Irrigation at the Government of the Republic of Tajikistan
The Agency for Land Reclamation and Irrigation is the central executive authority in the area of land reclamation and irrigation. It fulfils the functions related to elaboration of the common national policy and legal regulation in reclamation of land, use and conservation of water facilities and water resources.
State Committee for Land Management and Geodesy of the Republic of Tajikistan
State Committee for Land Management and Geodesy is the central government authority, which is responsible for formulation and implementation of the common public policy in the area of state land management, land cadastre, land surveying, mapping, state registration of immovable property and its rights, and state control over land use and conservation.
Committee for Environmental Conservation at the Government of the Republic of Tajikistan
The Committee for Environmental Conservation is the central government authority of the Republic that is involved in implementation of the public policy in the area of environmental conservation, hydrometeorology, and rational nature use and ensures state control over environmental protection and nature use.
State Agency for Hydrometeorology of the Republic of Tajikistan (Tajikgidromet)
The State Agency for Hydrometeorology provides public services in the area of hydrometeorology.
The Agency has the following functions:
- take part in implementation of the common national policy in the area of hydrometeorology and environmental pollution monitoring;
- produces state statistical reporting in the area of hydrometeorology and provides the data to upper authorities;
- in accordance with the established procedure, coordinates establishment and maintenance of the system of integrated environmental monitoring;
- fulfills national obligations in the area of hydrometeorology in the established manner;
Statistical Agency under the President of the Republic of Tajikistan
The Statistical Agency under President of the Republic of Tajikistan is the central statistical and economic analysis office of the country.
The Agency collects and disseminates statistical information according to the principles of unbiased and comprehensive study of the current socio-economic processes in the Republic and records administrative-territorial units and human settlements.
Central Geological Administration at the Government of the Republic of Tajikistan
The Central Geological Administration is the central executive authority, which is responsible for national policy and governance and coordination of work on exploration of mineral wealth, rational use and replacement of mineral resources.
More detailed information is available here.
Ministry of Agriculture and Water Resources of Turkmenistan
The Ministry of Agriculture and Water Resources of Turkmenistan is aimed at fundamental changes in the national agricultural sector and enhancement of its efficiency.
State Committee of Turkmenistan for Environmental Protection and Land Resources
The State Committee for Environmental Protection and Land Resources is an agency, which implements national policy and exercises control in the area of nature protection and use, including of land fund, and coordinates activities of other agencies in this area.
National Desert, Flora and Fauna Institute
The National Desert, Flora and Fauna Institute undertakes basic and applied research in biology, ecology, human environmental conservation, and efficient nature use, based on specific characteristics of arid ecosystems.
Ministry of Energy of Turkmenistan
The Ministry of Energy is an executive authority, which is responsible for governance and common national policy in the area of energy, modernization and construction of additional generating capacities, and export of energy.
State Statistical Committee of Turkmenistan
The State Statistical Committee is an executive authority, which is responsible for preparation of official statistics about social, economic, demographic, and ecological situation in the country and for control and supervision over public statistical activity within the boundaries of Turkmenistan.
State Concern “Turkmengeology”
The State Concern “Turkmengeology” is responsible for monitoring of groundwater, both its quantity (level, use, storage) and quality (physic-chemical and chemical characteristics). There are 4 hydrogeological field offices (expeditions) that measure water quality in all operational wells, regularly make rapid chemical analysis of water in the wells and twice a year make full chemical analysis in the central laboratory of Turkmengeology. The expeditions make analysis for hydrocarbons, phenols, pesticides and other elements once or twice a year.
The State Concern together with the Sanitary-Epidemiological Service is also responsible for drinking water quality.
State Commission of Turkmenistan on Compliance with Turkmenistan’s Obligations Emanating from UN Environmental Conventions and Programs
The State Commission on Compliance with Turkmenistan’s Obligations Emanating from UN Environmental Conventions and Programs was established to coordinate activities of the ministries and departments for compliance with Turkmenistan’s obligations on implementation of the Biological Diversity Convention, Framework Convention on Climate Change, Basel Convention on the Control of Transboundary Movements of Hazardous Wastes and Their Disposal, the United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification, the Vienna Convention for the Protection of the Ozone Layer and the Montreal Protocol on substances that deplete the ozone layer, Aarhus Convention and other environmental conventions and programs, and to implement national policy on environmental conservation and sustainable nature use.
National Committee for Hydrometeorology at the Cabinet of Ministers of Turkmenistan
The National Committee for Hydrometeorology (“Turkmengidromet”) is a state administrative body, which is responsible for implementation of the national policy in the area of hydrometeorology and provision of information for economic sectors, defense enterprises, and population about actual and predicted changes in hydrometeorological conditions and their negative effects.
More detailed information is available here.
Ministry of Water Resources of the Republic of Uzbekistan
According to the Decree of the President of Uzbekistan Shavkat Mirziyoyev #5330 of February 12, 2018 “On measures to radically improve the system of agriculture and water sector governance”, the Ministry of Agriculture and Water Resources was split into the Ministry of Agriculture and Ministry of Water Management.
The main tasks and scope of work of the Ministry of Water Management of the Republic of Uzbekistan are:
- Implementing a unified policy on water resource management, as well as coordinating state bodies, water-management agencies and other organizations in the area of rational use and protection of water resources, prevention and elimination of harmful impacts of water;
- Sustainable and wise water supply to the territories and economic sectors, reclamation of land;
- Ensuring reliable operation of the irrigation and land reclamation system, reservoirs, pumping stations, and other water-management and hydraulic facilities; organizing protection of large and important sites of the water sector;
- Increasing responsibility of water users and consumers for careful and rational use of water resources, improving culture of water use;
- Implementing scientific and technical achievements, modern water-saving technologies, best water practices, innovative methods of water management and water use;
- Developing water sector professional development system, intensifying integration of water-management agencies with education and scientific entities, taking measures for practical implementation of scientific achievements;
- Developing interstate relations in the area of management and use of transboundary water resources, attracting foreign investments and technical assistance (grants), as well as intensifying interactions with international water organizations.
Basin Irrigation System Administrations
Basin Irrigation System Administrations are territorial branches of the Ministry of Water Management of the Republic of Uzbekistan.
Ministry of Agriculture of the Republic of Uzbekistan
The main tasks and scope of work the Ministry of Agriculture of the Republic of Uzbekistan are:
- implementing a unified policy on agriculture and food security aimed at comprehensive modernization of the sector, implementation of scientific and technical achievements, modern resource-saving technologies and intensive agrotechnologies and best agronomic practices;
- coordinating state bodies, agricultural enterprizes and other organizations dealing with food security in the Republic of Uzbekistan;
- increasing export potential of economic sectors by producing competitive products, conducting in-depth marketing research, attracting foreign investments and gratuitous technical assistance (grants);
- creating necessary stock of agricultural products and food staffs for year-round and uninterrupted supply of population at stable prices;
- ensuring extended processing of agricultural products, improved mechanisms of the public-private partnership, as well as enhanced participation of business entities in socio-economic development of the territories;
- developing integrated targeted, sectoral, and territorial programs aimed at dynamic and balanced development of agriculture, food security, increased employment and improved livelihoods of rural population, and stable prices of food staffs on the internal market;
- ensuring systemic integration of education, science, and agricultural production and training and retraining of staff, taking into account current and prospective needs of agriculture for highly qualified experts.
Inspection for Control over Agroindustry and Food Security at the General Prosecutor’s Office of the Republic of Uzbekistan
The main task of the Inspection are as follows:
- control over:
- compliance with law and regulations in the field of agriculture and water sector, as well as food security;
- compliance with requirements of the state order, harvesting, separate processing and storage of cotton seeds and cereals;
- meeting the requirements of formation of agricultural and food stock according to the state plans;
- quality, rational and targeted use, ensuring reliable preservation and reduction of losses of state resources of cereals, cotton and other seeds of agricultural crops, as well as products of their processing;
- implementing state policy in the field of genetic purity of varieties and quality of seeds of agricultural crops, activity on seed certification, identification and quality control of seeds and planting materials;
- rational use and protection of agricultural lands, strict observance of laws within the scope of the tasks assigned to the Inspection, including bringing to responsibility of those responsible as established by law;
- rational and efficient water use and compliance with water use rules in artificial water bodies;
- compliance with laws and regulations on pedigree livestock farming in all enterprises, institutions, and organizations regardless of their departmental affiliation and forms of ownership;
- technical condition of agricultural, reclamation and road-building machinery, efficiency of their operation, quality, service and repair services;
- mandatory state inspection of the quality of cereals, raw cotton, seeds of crops and products of their processing during export-import and intra-republican transportation;
- implementation of measures to identify offenses and take measures to eliminate the causes and conditions that contribute to them;
- proceedings in case of administrative offenses in the manner prescribed by law.
State Committee for Ecology and Environment Protection of the Republic of Uzbekistan
The State Committee for Ecology and Environment Protection of the Republic of Uzbekistan is a state governing body in the field of ecology, environment protection, rational use and restoration of natural resources and is subordinate to the Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Uzbekistan.
Ministry of Emergency Situations of the Republic of Uzbekistan
The Ministry of Emergency Situations of the Republic of Uzbekistan is a state governing body in the field of prevention and liquidation of natural and man-made emergency situations, civil protection, hydrometeorology, sustainable operation of hydraulic structures, seismic observations, safe operation of small ships, and protection of lives and health of population on water bodies.
Center of Hydrometeorological Service at the Ministry of Emergency Situations of the Republic of Uzbekistan (UzHydromet)
Centre of Hydrometeorological Service (Uzhydromet) is the state governing body specially authorized for the solution of tasks in the field of hydrometeorology in the Republic of Uzbekistan.
The objectives of Uzhydromet are the development and improvement of the state system of hydrometeorological observations, hydrometeorological provision of the sectors of economy, scientific research activities, improvement of short-term and long-term weather forecasts, water availability of rivers, climate change.
State Inspection “Gosvodtechnadzor”
The State Inspection for control and supervision over conditions and safety of large and particularly important water facilities at the Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Uzbekistan is a state authority, authorized in the field of state supervision over safety of hydraulic structures.
State Committee for Land, Geodesy, Cartography and National Cadaster of the Republic of Uzbekistan
The State Committee for Land, Geodesy, Cartography and National Cadaster (Goskomzemgeodezkadastr) is a state administrative body.
The system of Goskomzemgeodezkadastr consists of land and national cadaster authorities of the Republic of Karakalpakstan, provinces, and the city of Tashkent, divisions for land and national cadaster of districts, state enterprises of land management and immovable property cadaster the Republic of Karakalpakstan, provinces, the city of Tashkent and districts, Inspection of State Geodesic Supervision, National Center of Geodesy and Cartography and other units.
State Inspectorate for Control over Drinking Water Use at the Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Uzbekistan
- The main task of the State Inspectorate is to exercise control over:
- compliance with legislation and regulations for rational and effective preparation, transportation and selling of drinking water; sanitation and wastewater treatment;
- technical audit of the objects in water supply and sewage systems aimed at improving technological process and energy saving;
- compliance with the technical requirements for connection to the water supply and sewerage system, and unauthorized connections to the system;
- operational conditions of the water and sewage system, measures for preventing damages and emergencies in the system, and observance of standard rates of drinking water losses;
- operational conditions of groundwater wells, regardless of their form of ownership.
Joint Stock Company ”Uzbekenergo”
The Power Industry of Uzbekistan operates in the framework of the Joint Stock Company ”Uzbekenergo”.
The company structure includes 53 enterprises and organizations, including 39 open joint-stock companies, 11 unitary enterprises, 2 societies with limited liability and company branch-“Energosotish”.
Joint stock company “Uzbekgidroenergo”
JSC "Uzbekgidroenergo" is the structure in the country engaged in the development and implementation of programs to develop the country's hydroelectric potential and effective use of existing opportunities, development of the hydropower sector based on the integrated development of hydropower potential.
State Committee of the Republic of Uzbekistan for Geology and Mineral Resources
The State Committee of the Republic of Uzbekistan for Geology and Mineral Resources (hereinafter, State Committee) is a state governing body in the field of geological survey, use and protection of mineral resources, as well as management of mining relations.
The State Committee of the Republic of Uzbekistan on Statistics
The State Committee of the Republic of Uzbekistan on Statistics is a state governing body, which carries out a unified policy in the field of statistics aimed at establishing and operating integrated progressive statistical information system which is based on scientific methodology, international standards and rules, taking into account national and regional features of development and which meets the requirements of public and economic authorities, legal entities, international organizations and citizens in the official statistical information.
The Ministry for Development of Information Technologies and Communications of the Republic of Uzbekistan
The Ministry is a state governing body in the field of information technologies and communications.
More detailed information is available here.